Epson XP-15000 DTF conversion

johnson4

26 minutes ago, N1k088 said:

Has anyone been able to install the dampers on the xp 15000 or find a way to prevent the 031006 error from happening ?

There are some manifolds out there said to fit the printhead that makes dampers fit it. 

I had 031006 occur with 0 leaking around the 3 month mark. As well, I had sealed the flat cable connectors with silicone so I know there wasn't any ink touching anything.. I verified this when I took it apart. 

It seems to happen to every one of them I have used, and to most after a few months. It's one reason I consider this machine disposable based on it's cost. For $400, Getting 3-6 months use out of it is a steal. 

I found no evidence that the error code occured due to liquid getting to any electrical components, nothing I could find indicated this. I am not sure why it happens, but I think maybe it wicks up the side of the printhead ( the face of it) and touches the internal electronics during wiping. Every other printhead I have seen is " taller" here, this one is super short between the head face and the top of the printhead. 

Edited by johnson4

• 3 months later...
On 1/20/2022 at 6:30 PM, johnson4 said:

These dampers are bigger than the ones going to be used for it. I do expect many revisions and issues along the way. But, it all fits and seals perfectly. Now to actually print them for use instead of fitment. The “port” doesn’t break off because it tapers, and the damper is snugly fitted in place. No room to wiggle and break it off. So that worked well( so far)... 

EF872DFA-4E88-4461-95FD-DEED8A8DD6A8.jpeg

3D934930-97DC-4998-B318-07AF44BB2C88.jpeg

D1CB061B-CF69-427D-BC7B-C2FB78F9B86E.jpeg

46EA8A30-578A-456B-B660-C506CD415EB0.jpeg

Where can we buy this adapter

7 hours ago, Sandor said:

Where can we buy this adapter

Hi, Adapter wasn't for sale. I made it with Tinkercad and resin printed it. If you do that yourself, be sure not to use water washable resin for obvious reasons. 

I copied the original cartridge with a caliper and found the aftermarket carts ( back then) were insufficient in sealing properly. I was going to add a small square sponge in that cavity at the bottom of the adapter to mimic the original function, which I would pull from the oem carts and cut them to size. 

The aftermarket carts that I purchased( multiple sets from various suppliers) were not sealing very well to the original gasket. The original cartridges sealed perfectly, so I copied those.  It should only take a couple hours to replicate and a few more hours to test fitment. 

I have moved onto bigger and faster machines and I didn't keep the project on file so I no longer have it available. I currently use the P5000/P6000 machines with adapters for the damper assembly for the white ink and circulation system made from the same resin. They haven't failed in over 4 months with much thinner passageways and have helped tremendously, so I fully believe this one would have worked perfectly as well. 

Another user suggested taking the inline dampers ( sold on ali-express for about 0.35 each) and just pressing them into the air hole in the cartridges and sealing with silicone/super glue for the same effect. Me personally, I don't think this would stop the leaking at the base 100%, but would almost completely eliminate it due to the vacuum of the damper. 

For the price of 3 xp-15000 printers you can have twice the print speed, built in vacuum tray and cutter and mythical reliability from the printheads, including recovering clogs. After you go through a couple of the 15000s you'll have wished you went a different route. Most people do unless strictly small scale use, at which point it would be cheaper/easier to just buy the transfers from someone local. It's one of those starter machines to dip your toes in the water of DTF printing, not something you really stick to to build a business around without serious modification, in which case the print speed alone can justify a different machine. 

Edited by johnson4

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2022 at 4:30 PM, johnson4 said:

These dampers are bigger than the ones going to be used for it. I do expect many revisions and issues along the way. But, it all fits and seals perfectly. Now to actually print them for use instead of fitment. The “port” doesn’t break off because it tapers, and the damper is snugly fitted in place. No room to wiggle and break it off. So that worked well( so far)... 

EF872DFA-4E88-4461-95FD-DEED8A8DD6A8.jpeg

hello johnson4,
Interesting project! Can you share or sell the 3D files?
thanks

• 2 months later...