Inks with long shelf life?

Good day,

Is all DTF ink pretty similar when it comes to shelf life or are there any brands that have a longer shelf life, like perhaps a year? Any tips on storage that will boost shelf life? I keep it about 60f in the winter and 70f in the summer and don't shake it or mix it but maybe a few times a month unless I'm using it actively. Is that hurting the ink?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, farmertin said:

Good day,

Is all DTF ink pretty similar when it comes to shelf life or are there any brands that have a longer shelf life, like perhaps a year? Any tips on storage that will boost shelf life? I keep it about 60f in the winter and 70f in the summer and don't shake it or mix it but maybe a few times a month unless I'm using it actively. Is that hurting the ink?

Thanks

Yes. Shake the white ink often, If not daily, every other day. CMYK- doesn't matter. 

the ink consists of Water, Diethylene glycol, Glycerol, pigment and it's carrier and usually an additive to prevent bacterial growth. The shelf life comes from the pigment/carrier breaking down, and the mix going beyond it's shelf life ( more than a few months) would start to be affected by bacteria and other chemical breakdowns. While the shelf life may be one year, sometimes that is " worst case" scenario. Anything beyond that though, you are pushing it and risk issues.

Edited by johnson4

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, everyone knows not letting the ink, especially white, separate and settle is a key issue.

But don't shake vigorously, you want to minimize air bubbles mixing in the ink as it will accelerate evaporation/coagulation.  My ink from DTFsuperstore says to "gently roll the bottles" on the label. What I do is hold the bottle upright and move it in a motion that swirls the ink trying to minimize agitation while also minimizing the possibility of ink collecting (in small amounts) around the seal and inside cap

What I do that I don't see others advocate is when the bottles get about halfway empty I switch the ink to a smaller container, again, to minimize it's ability to mix with air.

Just want to add to my above comment that, while I'm not a chemist, and agree that air will also accelerate ink breakdown from bacterial growth, I kind of doubt that is a major factor in 6 mos purported shelf life when other similar type chemicals seem to have a much longer shelf life.