Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Build

7 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Switching over to matte black on the printer and in the software is perfectly fine and what I meant above. For me, it takes 2 heavy cleanings or one ink charge to fully clear the line from the cart to the head.

Very possible I still have cleaning fluid in there. I reoriented the graphic to 2 UP and in the middle of the page. I'll see if that makes a difference. If not I'll do a heavy cleaning from the 2manuals program I bought.

8 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Other than that, I don't really know. Dampers, ink cartridges. That's the only physical thing to cause these issues that I am aware of from my experience. If you are running the carts without the filters, then it very well could be the dampers are clogging as well. This is how mine killed off the dampers within a few days with the gun carts.  Brand new bottles of ink usually contain small fragments of things, I have taken photo's in the past of brand new cartridges, filled with brand new ink when empty, had at least 4-5 small blobs on the filter, Multiple brands. If the dampers are as old as the printer, that would be my first step.

Ok interesting. Can filter be added or use a filter like you do when you put automotive paint into a spray gun? I was using KingdomDTF's inks and they worked great, but the colors I needed were out of stock, as well as this web store, so I went with garmentprinterink.com. Prints last night before switching graphics were fine.

12 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

For example, With the 80ML filtered carts, I replace my dampers about every 6 months. For the gun carts, They failed within 7 days ( sooner) and I had to replace them. That's why I have about 25 spares on hand, I'll go through them within the next 6-8 months. I can't say specifically for you, but for sure on my end my first step is replace all the dampers- IF 1-2 heavy ink cleanings do not help or fix the issue.

As far as heavy cleanings you mean run the 2manuals program and do a heavy cleaning with the ink carts in there, right? CL1-CL5, CL5 is initial charge, so somewhere inbetween?

12 minutes ago, cartierusm said:

Ok totally weird. Printed the same graphic 2 up instead of staggered on a page 3 up. Printed perfectly!! No idea.

Sounds like a cadlink issue then, Random glitches I guess. I have them anyway. 

Glad its working!

1 hour ago, cartierusm said:

Really, RIP issue, that would be weird. But good to know. Thanks.

I'm just assuming, I have no idea. I have never had anything like that happen, but I know you are using cadlink, and I know I have weird things somewhat related to the things you experienced happen on other printers. I am only relating my experiences to yours vaguely, so that take part with a grain of salt. 

3 hours ago, cartierusm said:

Will do. I ordered some dampers. I’ll print some other stuff after this job is pressed on shirts.

Do you think I should just replace them or of it’s a software problem not replace unless I have a problem?

It’s only about $20-$25 in parts and it’s really good preventative maintenance so I would. I replace mine as needed and around every 6 months. Used machines I replace them right away usually, plus it gets you inside the machine so you get used to it. For the price vs cost if it fails and does head/printer damage, it’s worth it to me to know the condition of those parts overall. 

20 minutes ago, cartierusm said:

Ok what could this be? Is this a symptom of the dampers?

IMG_1656.JPG

It could be multiple things, do you have any more reference information?  

beginning/ end of the print, is this the first print of the “day” or while printing a bunch, new film etc. 

i still recommend replacing the dampers even if it’s unrelated. 

Edited by johnson4

It's pretty much starts right away after the first inch or so. I shook the inks before starting today, then ran two print head cleanings from the printer menu and did a nozzle check. This was the third print of the day, the first two did the same thing more or less. I was trying to get a more opaque white under coat like I can get with the XP-15000. So I started at 45%, then 40% and back to what I had it set before 35% so at first I thought it was just too much white ink. I did notice the last print I did a few days ago it did this on the edges of the print, but when I re-did the graphics so it was  2 Up instead of 3 up, it worked fine. Same film, same ink although this ink is new to me. I ran out of the Kingdom DTF ink that I use for the XP-15000 so this is from garmentprinterink. But I have been getting decent results with it on this printer, not great, but enough to complete the job I had.

18 minutes ago, cartierusm said:

It's pretty much starts right away after the first inch or so. I shook the inks before starting today, then ran two print head cleanings from the printer menu and did a nozzle check. This was the third print of the day, the first two did the same thing more or less. I was trying to get a more opaque white under coat like I can get with the XP-15000. So I started at 45%, then 40% and back to what I had it set before 35% so at first I thought it was just too much white ink. I did notice the last print I did a few days ago it did this on the edges of the print, but when I re-did the graphics so it was  2 Up instead of 3 up, it worked fine. Same film, same ink although this ink is new to me. I ran out of the Kingdom DTF ink that I use for the XP-15000 so this is from garmentprinterink. But I have been getting decent results with it on this printer, not great, but enough to complete the job I had.

Weird. I use DTFsuperstore inks. 

I feel like it’s white ink separating. You shouldn’t see “ bulging” edges on the white ink layer.

on mine I shake my cartridges vigorously, clean the wiper and cap, bottom of the head then proceed to do 3 head cleanings. If I haven’t printed in a day or two I might have to do a heavy cleaning from the printer menu. 

On a side note i tried the Kodak inks from garment printer, and on a new cartridge the magenta filter was full of sludge after only 80ML. Literal magenta goo when I removed it to inspect it. I don’t know about the rest of their inks, but that’s not good. I also had to replace my damper and go reinstall my usual ink to get it working again. 

as for this I’m not certain what the issue is, seems like multiple things. Does it do the same with another RIP? Does it do the same with white only? 

Ok I'll do some more research. I did print a white graphic last night and it printed fine, but it was in the center of the page and didn't fill the whole page up like this graphic.

It does seem like it's separating and then diluting the ink under it, or I assume as the red is washed in there as well.

Which DTF Superstore ink the regular or their Super CMYK and which white?

Haven't tried  another RIP I'll do that too from EK and see what happens.

4 hours ago, cartierusm said:

Do you have to remove the Epson 3880 cover to change the dampers?

You do, Me personally ( lol) I use a grinder and cut a notch over the capping station. Easier to clean, can pull out the whole carriage assembly if needed. 

That's the p800 though, I don't know about this unit since it is aesthetically designed differently. 

4 hours ago, cartierusm said:

Ok I'll do some more research. I did print a white graphic last night and it printed fine, but it was in the center of the page and didn't fill the whole page up like this graphic.

It does seem like it's separating and then diluting the ink under it, or I assume as the red is washed in there as well.

Which DTF Superstore ink the regular or their Super CMYK and which white?

Haven't tried  another RIP I'll do that too from EK and see what happens.

I use the standard CMYK 900ML inks, and the Standard white ink. the other white ink ( max) Actually does what it says, When I use it my white are brighter and more solid, seems to dry quicker. Same printing performance so it works well. 

I wanted to test the " super" inks but, they have been sold out. 

• 1 year later...