Some questions about DTF / solid colors / applying powder / glossy prints

Hey guys, I'm new in the DTF world and trying to get into :classic_happy:
So I have some issues and hope someone of you maybe can help me out a little :classic_laugh:

( Sorry that some picture are so big, I dont know how to make them smaller :classic_rolleyes: )

My Setup: L1800 with CADlink
PET film, paint, powder and ICC profile are from the same manufacture / supplier

1. Problem - Unclean Colors

I cant get solid colors... They are always  "unclean" ( I dont know how to describe that )
As you can see in the picture, there are small white/blue/dark lines but not a solid blue 

image.thumb.jpeg.33ff303a66ba4c16249f7b44a775b5d2.jpeg

I tried so much but cant get a solid color.
( I tried head cleans, other ICC profiles, pictures with very high resolution, different choke and any other setting in cadlink.. )

Is it normal for DTF or am I doing something wrong here?

2. Problem - Powdering after print

After my print is done, I put some powder on it.
But the thing is, my print is getting "dirty" after I put the powder right after..

image.thumb.jpeg.71c50097bd4d21acfdf95c7f8e2c569f.jpeg

I tried to wait 3-5 minutes before I put the powder on it and it seems to solve the problem. but why dosnt it work right after the print, is that normal?

3. Problem - Glossiness

I would like to have my prints matt. I saw a post from @johnson4 about glossy PET films.
https://www.opendtg.com/topic/2645-is-it-driving-anyone-else-crazy/)
The thing is, after I did my first press - my print is matt
After the second press, its getting glossy.
So I tried to do the second press with silicon paper instead of teflon paper.
As you maybe can see it in the picture, it isnt that glossy anymore (also got a better feel)

image.thumb.jpeg.b3c251b8080f69d503f42a80326e92be.jpeg

So I would like to know if somebody knows other good materials to get a matt finish
Or do I just have to change my teflon paper? Are there different types of it? Or is my PET film just one of that glossy types and I need  matt PET film sheets?

I hope someone of you can help me out a little

Kind regards :classic_happy:

3 hours ago, Michatroniker said:

Hey guys, I'm new in the DTF world and trying to get into :classic_happy:
So I have some issues and hope someone of you maybe can help me out a little :classic_laugh:

( Sorry that some picture are so big, I dont know how to make them smaller :classic_rolleyes: )

My Setup: L1800 with CADlink
PET film, paint, powder and ICC profile are from the same manufacture / supplier

1. Problem - Unclean Colors

I cant get solid colors... They are always  "unclean" ( I dont know how to describe that )
As you can see in the picture, there are small white/blue/dark lines but not a solid blue 

image.thumb.jpeg.33ff303a66ba4c16249f7b44a775b5d2.jpeg

I tried so much but cant get a solid color.
( I tried head cleans, other ICC profiles, pictures with very high resolution, different choke and any other setting in cadlink.. )

Is it normal for DTF or am I doing something wrong here?

2. Problem - Powdering after print

After my print is done, I put some powder on it.
But the thing is, my print is getting "dirty" after I put the powder right after..

image.thumb.jpeg.71c50097bd4d21acfdf95c7f8e2c569f.jpeg

I tried to wait 3-5 minutes before I put the powder on it and it seems to solve the problem. but why dosnt it work right after the print, is that normal?

3. Problem - Glossiness

I would like to have my prints matt. I saw a post from @johnson4 about glossy PET films.
https://www.opendtg.com/topic/2645-is-it-driving-anyone-else-crazy/)
The thing is, after I did my first press - my print is matt
After the second press, its getting glossy.
So I tried to do the second press with silicon paper instead of teflon paper.
As you maybe can see it in the picture, it isnt that glossy anymore (also got a better feel)

image.thumb.jpeg.b3c251b8080f69d503f42a80326e92be.jpeg

So I would like to know if somebody knows other good materials to get a matt finish
Or do I just have to change my teflon paper? Are there different types of it? Or is my PET film just one of that glossy types and I need  matt PET film sheets?

I hope someone of you can help me out a little

Kind regards :classic_happy:

1. Clogging or too low resolution. Even one nozzle can cause this. Poor ink flow can do this. 

2. Ink is too wet. When ink is wet, powder goes through the ink to the surface. It needs to gel before powdering, so it sits at the back.

3. Teflon always makes a glossy finish, and you probably have a hot peel or glossy film. Change film, stop using Teflon. 

Edited by johnson4

12 hours ago, johnson4 said:

1. Clogging or too low resolution. Even one nozzle can cause this. Poor ink flow can do this. 

2. Ink is too wet. When ink is wet, powder goes through the ink to the surface. It needs to gel before powdering, so it sits at the back.

3. Teflon always makes a glossy finish, and you probably have a hot peel or glossy film. Change film, stop using Teflon. 

Thanks for the fast answer. You are awesome :classic_happy:

Sometimes I leave my print for about 2 days without printing. Maybe its really clogged now...
But my nozzle checks are always clean. Can it still be clogged if my nozzle checks are fine?

Do you maybe have a tip how to leave my printer for some days without clogging? :classic_wacko:
At the moment, I make a wetcap and shake the tank & dampers every day.

Sometimes I leave my print for about 2 days without printing. Maybe its really clogged now...
But my nozzle checks are always clean. Can it still be clogged if my nozzle checks are fine?

Do you maybe have a tip how to leave my printer for some days without clogging? :classic_wacko:

You can have ink flow issues with a perfect nozzle check. I wouldn't consider it clogging, I call it " soft clogging".  Ink flow issues can happen for a ton of reasons, the best way to check this is to print a large 6" X 6" or 12" X 12" solid color of each color, CMYK, to see if you have an ink flow problem. If it drops out or shows any irregularities, then there is something up. 

If it checks out, It's likely your resolution in cadlink. Are you using 1440X1440, or something less than that? 1440X720 is like the minimum, which you'll see that ever so slightly in some prints even at that resolution. 

That is about the best you can do to keep it in standby. 

Edited by johnson4