Epson 3880 , 4880 or 4900

Hi everyone , im here to asking which will be better option to convert , we had some sad stories about epson 3800 and 3880 ( print quality its amazing but the head fired for no reason on both machine , we didnt take out the head or something like this, we printed fine and next day pronted blank page checked f5 fuse the fuse bleeping )

so now we want to look for a better printer, i know converted printers come with lot of headache i know the commercial ones is better but our budget right now not allowing us to buy a commercial printer so thats why we looking again for converting 

we are courios if 4900 worth it the conversion , im waiting for pros and cons from 4900/p5000 users thanks 

4 hours ago, laci said:

Hi everyone , im here to asking which will be better option to convert , we had some sad stories about epson 3800 and 3880 ( print quality its amazing but the head fired for no reason on both machine , we didnt take out the head or something like this, we printed fine and next day pronted blank page checked f5 fuse the fuse bleeping )

so now we want to look for a better printer, i know converted printers come with lot of headache i know the commercial ones is better but our budget right now not allowing us to buy a commercial printer so thats why we looking again for converting 

we are courios if 4900 worth it the conversion , im waiting for pros and cons from 4900/p5000 users thanks 

P5000 is a beast. I run 3 of them. 

3 hours ago, laci said:

i heard 4900 is very similar, will be a good choice?

The 4900 is the older model of the 5000 so they probably function about the same. 

The 4900 did come out in 2010, so it could be anywhere from 13-6 years old, can’t say how long it would work for you at that point. Any older/used models I’ve converted never lasted long without needing overhauled. Old Oem ink turns into a clog forming gel, so just about everything is bound to need manually cleaned and flushed if you want the best case scenario from it. 

me personally I’d remove the damper assembly and flush the ink system from the cartridges to the printhead, replace the dampers (with oem) and the capping station. Otherwise all that stuff would be flushed through the printhead. 

i like sticking to current gen machines as printheads and parts are readily available and usually not price hiked if they are out of production. New Printhead from Epson for the P5000 is $810. 

sounds silly doing all that, but if you want reliability you need a new machine or refurbish an old one first. Otherwise it’s just issue after issue. A new P5000 is around $1900 delivered. Sell the oem ink for $300. Buy carts and a resetter, about $150. 

use BHphoto and use their interest free credit card. It’s like $158 a month, no interest. 

after 3 months you’ll need to flush the oem white ink lines, OR at that point with your profit invest in a white ink circulation system, it’s about $100-$150 to add and bypass the white ink cartridges. 

don’t go sticking aftermarket dampers on it if you want reliability and longevity. 

there are several very detailed posts here about the P5000. 

good luck

• Thanks 1

Thank you again , can you tell me what i need for converting ? we bought the 4900 ( we dont find in Romania any p5000 in stock) the printer comes with original epson inks , i know i need 2 sets of carts ,2 maintenance box , resetters , but what about conversion i cant find anything on youtube 

4 hours ago, laci said:

Thank you again , can you tell me what i need for converting ? we bought the 4900 ( we dont find in Romania any p5000 in stock) the printer comes with original epson inks , i know i need 2 sets of carts ,2 maintenance box , resetters , but what about conversion i cant find anything on youtube 

you can convert it with what you have listed without a white ink circulation system. 

The P5000/R4900 are ready to go out of the box, no rollers to remove or anything else- It's ready to go with it's built in cutter and vacuum suction to hold the prints in place- without using the rollers. 

3 hours ago, laci said:

So with service program i remove the old ink from system and after i put the refill carts with dtf ink , i do an ink charge and ready to go?

If that is your method of choice. You don’t need the service program really, it has right in the printer menu the “ heavy” and “ “administrative “. The administrator cleaning takes 1-2 cleaning to flush it all out and another 1-2 to load the ink. 

it’s the same options in the service software, they do have a purge button but I didn’t like that one. Too much air in the lines afterwards.