Convert used epson p800

Hello forum!!

I wanted to build a DTF printer and I'm interested on two printers (second hand) that I can buy to achieve this one it's the P800 and other 3880, my question it's more related with the preparation, any of those has been used with the OEM inks, I wanted to know if I can use a refillable cartridges to make some cleans until the lines and dampers doesn't have any clue of the OEM inks in order to filling up with the DTF inks OR I should buy the entire line-damper system and replace it... regards!!

9 hours ago, Roman Alvarado said:

Hello forum!!

I wanted to build a DTF printer and I'm interested on two printers (second hand) that I can buy to achieve this one it's the P800 and other 3880, my question it's more related with the preparation, any of those has been used with the OEM inks, I wanted to know if I can use a refillable cartridges to make some cleans until the lines and dampers doesn't have any clue of the OEM inks in order to filling up with the DTF inks OR I should buy the entire line-damper system and replace it... regards!!

The P800 prints well, the problem is it will almost always suffer from a head strike killing it. The printhead rides really close to the film. It’s also rather slow, about 10 12”x12” an hour at it’s fastest speed. 

if you can make a good output tray with a vacuum that goes under the printhead it would be fine. If you use a shaker it’s usually fine because it “ pulls” the film down IF you have it perfectly aligned and don’t get any side to side movement while it prints. 

As for the ink system, the P800 ink system is good as-is with aftermarket cartridges, just change the dampers monthly and you’ll be fine. If you don’t, and you get white sediment from the damper inside the printhead there is NO recovering it, it weakens and kills the nozzles  immediately. You can risk 2-3 month damper changes, but it’s risky.  

i ran 3 p800’s for over a year, which was actually like 7 of them after replacing them when the heads failed, which was always my fault. 

I had purchased like 15 of them when they were $100 each from Epson refurbished after selling the ink, so it wasn’t a big deal and taught me a lot. The 3880 is probably the worser option, given it’s age and parts availability. 

good luck. 

52 minutes ago, Roman Alvarado said:

Thank you Johnson!

What do you think about this other alternative, et-8550 vs L1800?

I have never seen the eco-tank printers work very long, they are designed for dye based ink and are not built to last.. The downfall to an OEM chipless printer. You would need an external ink system. If you don't, It won't last long for sure. I have never seen anyone use these for more than a few months even with an ink system. 

The L1800 is widely used for DTF, however it's half as fast as the P800. It's like the Epson 1430, 80 nozzles per channel X6 channels. BUT it does have an external ink tank that can be shaken, just need to have an ink circulation system and it should work for quite a while. 

There aren't really many Epson models that are " ideal" as each will have it's own pro/con. Even those are being discontinued and being replaced with new models so aftermarket support is diminishing. 

If you are just doing a few things here and there for yourself, the L1800 should do you right. If you are trying to sell transfers, I think the bare minimum for that is something like the P5000/P6000. The P5000 can do 21 12" X 12" an hour, 42 12" X 12" an hour single color. The P6000 does 30 11" X 12" an hour, 60 11" X 12" an hour single color. 

Both are easily modified to work for the long term. 

I went through tons of models and have extensive experience in these models and their older siblings: 

-1430/l1800

-P400/R2000/R1800/R1900

-p600/R3000

-P800/3880

-P5000/R4900

-P6000

-C88

-several WF models and eco tank models. 

Most were accrued from direct from Epson refurbished sales, some were used models I refurbished before converting them. 

I had to rent a 30 yard dumpster to clear my graveyard of printers/parts that I have accrued over the years in my search/endeavors.

In the end, when I stopped looking, I am running the P5000/P6000 and haven't lost one yet, which also has saved me time, money, and of course increased print speeds. I tested every angle with each model relentlessly, with multiples of each model listed above. I wanted to know why something failed, when, and how to prevent it, which ultimately results in the failure first, to learn from it. 

At the end, you want something reliable to invest in, otherwise man it is just awful with the cost and downtime. If you are just dipping your toes in to see if it's for you, the L1800 will do that. Most of them will do that. But know all that $$ spent will be gone within a few months if not sooner due to the learning curve. The L1800 isn't that expensive to replace parts/printheads on, so it's a good starter machine to learn on. 

If you are going in wallet to the wall, chinese machines aren't that bad. Just don't buy a conversion.

Edited by johnson4
  • Like 1