open source DTF software

15 hours ago, Kdot57 said:

I there an open source (free) software for DTF? Or maybe a plug in? I want to just want to open a file and print it out! I use Corel.

You need something to rasterize the white ink layer and register the new ink colors in the machine, as well as the hard and soft ink limits. 

printers come with all of that in the OEM driver, however, aftermarket use requires aftermarket software. 

Well yeah. And there has been a few from folks like gimp and such but of course nothing in the dicriptions or manuals gets to the dyf or g. I'm a screen printer and just like it. Sounds like there is not much of a way around the software cost. Kinda bites. 

8 hours ago, Kdot57 said:

Well yeah. And there has been a few from folks like gimp and such but of course nothing in the dicriptions or manuals gets to the dyf or g. I'm a screen printer and just like it. Sounds like there is not much of a way around the software cost. Kinda bites. 

Yeah, to be honest out of everything, even using a cheap $200-$300 printer, the software ends up being the cheapest thing out of all of it. if you want anything useable quality, even then to run it longer than 4-6 weeks will require tons of time tinkering and breaking/replacing things. 

if you went with a cheap Chinese imported machine, they usually come with free ( albeit more difficult to use) software to run them. 

given that DTF has peaked and has been going downhill for a bit, finding an older model Chinese printer at a good price should be relatively easy. 

A word of warning though, just how you don’t want to leave ink in your screens, ( god, waterbased sucked in a low humidity shop) you don’t want to let the machine sit. 

letting the printer sit, even properly maintained for 24 hours unused is the same as leaving white waterbased screen-printing ink in your screen, (unloaded) in a dry environment for 5-10 minutes. 

Takes a minute to clear the screen, sometimes with a screen opener, but after some time it’s usually fine. Let it sit for a day, it’s screwed. 

well, a direct comparison is that 5-10 minute air dried screen is about the same as letting the printer sit for 12-24 hours unused. 

Letting the screen sit for 24 hours with waterbased ink in it, that’s like using the printer 2-3 times in a week letting it sit 24-48 hours at a time for less than 20-30 prints total. 

they need ran almost everyday, even then you have to replace several parts based on time intervals, if you miss the mark you also end up replacing the printhead, and potentially damaging the new printhead if you don’t “waste” those new parts/ink again to do to right. My machine, the printhead is $1,300. The “ consumable” parts are about $500 a year, if I get 1 print or 10,000 from it. When sitting, you either use the ink by making transfers, or throwing it down the drain on cleaning cycles. 

it seems so similar and simple, the second you add white ink into it, you just changed 100% how the machine works from its original design. 

i feel you, but if the software cost is a concern, it’s really going to get you.

Now, in my opinion for a lower volume user, like under 50 transfers a day- buy an old Epson DTG like the F2000/F2100. Use aftermarket carts with F3070 DTG ink or aftermarket ink. Make DTF by the sheet, the printer maintains itself and comes with free software. 

I picked up 3 used F2000’s last month for $1,500, they are a dime a dozen now and much easier and more reliable than a conversion, at around the same price used all said and done. Also Doubles up your usage because it’s a DTG machine as well. I often see them for around $1,000. 

Edited by johnson4