Dtf printer maintenance

Good day everyone, I am made to believe that a wet cap solution liquid is different from a printhead cleaning solution. I am a bit confused, why two different solutions? Is it that one is stronger than the other or what? I would live to know where windex and other glass cleaning liquid comes in place? I am new to dtf printing and I want to get all my facts clear, before investing in it. Thanks 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ikegwegbe said:

Good day everyone, I am made to believe that a wet cap solution liquid is different from a printhead cleaning solution. I am a bit confused, why two different solutions? Is it that one is stronger than the other or what? I would live to know where windex and other glass cleaning liquid comes in place? I am new to dtf printing and I want to get all my facts clear, before investing in it. Thanks 

Windex and glass cleaner have no place with DTG/DTF. the idea was that the ammonia/alcohol would help unclog print-heads with PIGMENT ink. 

DTF/DTG inks are water-based. Cleaning solution is made to " dissolve" the ink to some degree, to allow for cleaning. Capping station fluid is basically inert, it's placed there to remove the air, so the printhead can be protected from air, since, water-based inks worst nightmare is air drying it out. IF the cap is filled, and the print-head is placed over it and sealed, it basically prevents any possibility of the inks in the print-head from drying out. Where, without the fluid, air is trapped in there, allowing the ink to potentially dry out in the head given enough time. If you used cleaner, it would slowly deteriorate the face of the printhead, until failure. the time it takes depends on how strong the cleaner is. 

Edited by johnson4

19 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Windex and glass cleaner have no place with DTG/DTF. the idea was that the ammonia/alcohol would help unclog print-heads with PIGMENT ink. 

DTF/DTG inks are water-based. Cleaning solution is made to " dissolve" the ink to some degree, to allow for cleaning. Capping station fluid is basically inert, it's placed there to remove the air, so the printhead can be protected from air, since, water-based inks worst nightmare is air drying it out. IF the cap is filled, and the print-head is placed over it and sealed, it basically prevents any possibility of the inks in the print-head from drying out. Where, without the fluid, air is trapped in there, allowing the ink to potentially dry out in the head given enough time. If you used cleaner, it would slowly deteriorate the face of the printhead, until failure. the time it takes depends on how strong the cleaner is. 

Thanks for the info, so which one do you advice me to get. I saw this one on AliExpress US $14.32 | DTG Ink Textile InK Garment Ink Cleaning Liquid Cleaning Fluid Printhead Cleaning Solution DTG Ink Cleaner (3 Capacity Options)
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPStDfT and I wondering if it is ok

10 minutes ago, Ikegwegbe said:

Thanks for the info, so which one do you advice me to get. I saw this one on AliExpress US $14.32 | DTG Ink Textile InK Garment Ink Cleaning Liquid Cleaning Fluid Printhead Cleaning Solution DTG Ink Cleaner (3 Capacity Options)

I really have no idea. My experience comes from the products in the US.

Realistically, Any cleaner designed for Textile ink should work fine.  some people use just Distilled water for the capping station. there isn't really a definitive answer for the question unfortunately, like most things, everyone has their own opinion, and use.  If it says it will work, Trial and error will be your only solution in the unknown. That's what I had to do. 

Window cleaner comes in a variety of compositions, isopropyl alcohol-based cleaner dissolves the ink and can be poured into the parking lot to clean the print head (which I do sometimes), more often I pour distilled water into the parking lot.

19 minutes ago, Ikegwegbe said:

I recently purchased such a solvent and ink I want to test, The solvent has a chemical smell and dissolves the ink I think this solvent is for deep cleaning of the head

Properly formulated DTG inks are water-based pigmented inks with sufficient amounts of polyols, which serve as humectants and protect the drying out of the ink and increase the open time. Small amounts of alcohol serve as penetrants and are NOT a main ingredient nor in the ink nor the cleaning fluid. Cleaning fluid would have deionized water, glycols, surfactants and some polyols. If you'd like to experiment, for DTG inks you could make a cleaning fluid from 75% deioznized water and 20% glycerol and 5% pure isopropyl alcohol (not denaturated with MEK or other stuff)   

• 11 months later...
On 11/8/2020 at 11:00 AM, Martin Gaydarov said:

Properly formulated DTG inks are water-based pigmented inks with sufficient amounts of polyols, which serve as humectants and protect the drying out of the ink and increase the open time. Small amounts of alcohol serve as penetrants and are NOT a main ingredient nor in the ink nor the cleaning fluid. Cleaning fluid would have deionized water, glycols, surfactants and some polyols. If you'd like to experiment, for DTG inks you could make a cleaning fluid from 75% deioznized water and 20% glycerol and 5% pure isopropyl alcohol (not denaturated with MEK or other stuff)   

Hi there, thanks for this formulation, trying it at the moment, but just a question... what kind of added dye can be used for nozzle checking?  

• 1 year later...