DTF conversion Epson P5000

On a whim, I decided to replace one of the DTF carts with a factory cart to see what would happen. I am not getting the back flow issue with air into the line. Which leads me to believe that my refillable carts are not getting a good seal, or are allowing air in some how. Though, it could be as simple as me not filling them correctly. I am also getting a perfect nozzle test on that channel after a level 3 cleaning to purge the line.

So, This helps to reassure me that there MAY not be a major issue with the machine, more an issue with my process or the carts that I am using.

Edited to add:

I have noticed from the beginning that when I try to load the refillable carts, they are not seating properly the first time, every time. Meaning, when I press the cartridges in all of the way, they are not clicking and the popping back to seat. Sometimes I am having to re-insert them multiple times to get the click and subsequent positive seating. Honestly, that happens most of the time. In addition, when I do get the click, I am having to manually pull the carts back to get them to seat. This may be where my air pockets are forming

Edited by black2002ls

I'm sure this will all read like the ramblings of a mad man!

I believe that I have found the source of my issue, not just with the ink flow, but also with the cartridges not seating properly. When I first loaded the printer, I did not prime the cartridges, which may have led to some of the early printing issues. When I found a video from ink owl on filling their refillable cartridges, I discovered that I needed to prime them. When doing so, I was basically putting a vacuum inside cartridge that was overpowering the vacuum created by the machine. So, when the damper opened to pull ink into the head, it was being drawn backwards by the vacuum created on the carts. This also seems to have resolved the issue with the carts seating properly, for now. Again, I think the vacuum inside of the cart was causing them to "stick" and not eject and seat properly.

I've been through so many scenarios over the last few days, that I do not recall if the issue started before I primed the cartridges and put them in a vacuum state, or if they were developing a vacuum inside of the cart from the machine pulling ink out of them. 😕

5 hours ago, black2002ls said:

One step forward, 2 steps back. I ran the ink charge, and I am getting air in the lines again. I've got the right top cover removed so I can see the ink moving through the lines. I can hear the pump pulling ink through the lines and I can see it moving toward the head. It seems like when it releases, there is more pressure on the cartridge side of the line than there is the head side, and it is pulling the ink back to to cart causing air pockets to form.

Air you removing the air plugs from the cartridges when inserting them in the printer?  If you are not, and have both plugs in the carts, this could be your issue. 

Edited by johnson4

4 hours ago, black2002ls said:

On a whim, I decided to replace one of the DTF carts with a factory cart to see what would happen. I am not getting the back flow issue with air into the line. Which leads me to believe that my refillable carts are not getting a good seal, or are allowing air in some how. Though, it could be as simple as me not filling them correctly. I am also getting a perfect nozzle test on that channel after a level 3 cleaning to purge the line.

So, This helps to reassure me that there MAY not be a major issue with the machine, more an issue with my process or the carts that I am using.

Edited to add:

I have noticed from the beginning that when I try to load the refillable carts, they are not seating properly the first time, every time. Meaning, when I press the cartridges in all of the way, they are not clicking and the popping back to seat. Sometimes I am having to re-insert them multiple times to get the click and subsequent positive seating. Honestly, that happens most of the time. In addition, when I do get the click, I am having to manually pull the carts back to get them to seat. This may be where my air pockets are forming

My carts do the same- it’s not an issue. Just push in then pull out so its locked in place. They seem to wear with time and move easier. 

3 hours ago, black2002ls said:

I'm sure this will all read like the ramblings of a mad man!

I believe that I have found the source of my issue, not just with the ink flow, but also with the cartridges not seating properly. When I first loaded the printer, I did not prime the cartridges, which may have led to some of the early printing issues. When I found a video from ink owl on filling their refillable cartridges, I discovered that I needed to prime them. When doing so, I was basically putting a vacuum inside cartridge that was overpowering the vacuum created by the machine. So, when the damper opened to pull ink into the head, it was being drawn backwards by the vacuum created on the carts. This also seems to have resolved the issue with the carts seating properly, for now. Again, I think the vacuum inside of the cart was causing them to "stick" and not eject and seat properly.

I've been through so many scenarios over the last few days, that I do not recall if the issue started before I primed the cartridges and put them in a vacuum state, or if they were developing a vacuum inside of the cart from the machine pulling ink out of them. 😕

When you prime the cartridges, all you are doing is pulling air out of the cartridges so the ink is fully purged into the cartridges. Air does not work the same way as liquid and can cause “ air lock” as well as clogging and other sorts of issues. It relies on fluid pressure. So you remove the air from the cartridges ink path by pulling the air from the exit chamber until ink comes out. Every aftermarket cartridge needs this done to properly prime it. 

there is a small plug for air to be sucked in the back near the full port. Once you use the cartridge, you permanently remove the small plug until you remove and store the cartridges outside of the printer. Leaving this in can do what you describe also. 

i do the same, it’s just a matter of trial and error, thinking you found the issue and finding out it wasn’t it- until you find the real issue. 

i also post each time, like a mad man. No worries. 

to be clear, there isn’t, or shouldn’t be a vacuum in the cartridge. If there is, you left the air plug in and that’s bad and causing your issues. 

9 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Air you removing the air plugs from the cartridges when inserting them in the printer?  If you are not, and have both plugs in the carts, this could be your issue. 

That is exactly my issue! I ran a series of 13 prints shortly after my last post and had 2 channels reporting clogs after the run. I pulled them and pulled the plug for the air channel and the vacuum released.

Do I need to reinstall those plugs when the printer is not in use?

23 minutes ago, black2002ls said:

That is exactly my issue! I ran a series of 13 prints shortly after my last post and had 2 channels reporting clogs after the run. I pulled them and pulled the plug for the air channel and the vacuum released.

Do I need to reinstall those plugs when the printer is not in use?

Nope. Those air air plugs. When you remove the cartridges to store them, you put them back. If it’s installed in the printer, take them out. If they are removed from the printer, put them back in. 

I would pull the air vents, purge the cart if it has air in the ink path, do an ink charge on each side- should fix you up. 

Edited by johnson4

• 2 months later...

This is what im getting 20221006_181511.thumb.jpg.12bebe65b9c535f27a057d37dbed4cb4.jpg

I tried everything

First i install all the Chinese carts same error 

Then I tried all other OEM and one Chinese. In that situation if i install one Chinese on the right side all are right side cartridges are not recognizing same for left side if i install one Chinese on left side all left side cartridges are not recognizing 

Then I tried resetting chinese cartridge with resetter it goes green but no change in error 

Then i also got one extra chipset from seller so i replaced one cartridge chip but everything is same 

Anyone knows what to do in this situation?

The chip series is T913

11 hours ago, Mr.Carter said:

This is what im getting 20221006_181511.thumb.jpg.12bebe65b9c535f27a057d37dbed4cb4.jpg

I tried everything

First i install all the Chinese carts same error 

Then I tried all other OEM and one Chinese. In that situation if i install one Chinese on the right side all are right side cartridges are not recognizing same for left side if i install one Chinese on left side all left side cartridges are not recognizing 

Then I tried resetting chinese cartridge with resetter it goes green but no change in error 

Then i also got one extra chipset from seller so i replaced one cartridge chip but everything is same 

Anyone knows what to do in this situation?

The chip series is T913

Maybe it's an updated firmware or something preventing the use of the chips. 

I know my first one was finicky, I spent 2 days getting it to read them- after that it was fine. I also setup the printer normally with OEM carts though the first time. Printed some posters then converted it. 

Maybe you received bad chips. 

51 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Maybe it's an updated firmware or something preventing the use of the chips. 

I know my first one was finicky, I spent 2 days getting it to read them- after that it was fine. I also setup the printer normally with OEM carts though the first time. Printed some posters then converted it. 

Maybe you received bad chips. 

Im installing them from initial ink charge is it ok?

The chip is from verified seller and got 2 set of t913 series 

The only difference is you are using 200ml cart and i got 80ml cart from seller maybe that was an issue about chip position maybe it was not proper connection between probes and chips pad

Huhh im frustrated now

Edited by Mr.Carter

3 hours ago, anum11 said:

Printers usually would error if you dont make initial charge original catridges that came in package. 

Try to first charge with original catridge chips then change into resetable ones.

I did initial charge on 1 of mine. The others I didn’t and it worked fine. I usually sell my own ink to lower costs if it has any value. 

9 hours ago, Mr.Carter said:

Im installing them from initial ink charge is it ok?

The chip is from verified seller and got 2 set of t913 series 

The only difference is you are using 200ml cart and i got 80ml cart from seller maybe that was an issue about chip position maybe it was not proper connection between probes and chips pad

Huhh im frustrated now

Could be. They should be 200ML carts and chips. I have about 10 sets of chips and every now and again one won’t reset, but nothing like you are experiencing. 

is also possible to use OEM chips. I did at first as well to make sure if they didn’t reset the Chinese chips. 

Messy work, but I removed ink sensor from ink bag( old R4900 empty cart sensors will work on them too), solder to backside of oem chip and sealed the sensor with ink on it so it would always read “ full” or not empty. After first reset it says non genuine, but also worked. 

I did that as backup method but haven’t needed to use them for that reason. 

Edited by johnson4

6 hours ago, johnson4 said:

Could be. They should be 200ML carts and chips. I have about 10 sets of chips and every now and again one won’t reset, but nothing like you are experiencing. 

is also possible to use OEM chips. I did at first as well to make sure if they didn’t reset the Chinese chips. 

Messy work, but I removed ink sensor from ink bag( old R4900 empty cart sensors will work on them too), solder to backside of oem chip and sealed the sensor with ink on it so it would always read “ full” or not empty. After first reset it says non genuine, but also worked. 

I did that as backup method but haven’t needed to use them for that reason. 

Did you mean OEM carts has sensor inside them and we can just bypass the sensor and it will always read full? No need to reset chips? 

Edited by Mr.Carter

9 hours ago, anum11 said:

Printers usually would error if you dont make initial charge original catridges that came in package. 

Try to first charge with original catridge chips then change into resetable ones.

I can try that but i dont have all the OEM carts available to me LLK cartridge is missing to try this i have to purchase the LLK cartridge 

Another thing is if i will run initial charge with OEM , the OEM ink will go inside the printer and all the ink system and that is what i want to avoid as i will be using it for dtf

4 hours ago, Mr.Carter said:

Did you mean OEM carts has sensor inside them and we can just bypass the sensor and it will always read full? No need to reset chips? 

Oem cart has a sensor inside that prevents you from just resetting and using them when the ink runs out. I pulled the sensor and put it on oem chip, and used that on refillable chip. Not very economical but can work. 

4 hours ago, Mr.Carter said:

I can try that but i dont have all the OEM carts available to me LLK cartridge is missing to try this i have to purchase the LLK cartridge 

Another thing is if i will run initial charge with OEM , the OEM ink will go inside the printer and all the ink system and that is what i want to avoid as i will be using it for dtf

I’m not saying you should use oem inks, I did the first time. I also didn’t on my other two and didn’t have this issue. 

oem inks flush out easily, I ran two ink charges with the adjustment program and all was well if you did do that. 

if I were you I’d try another supplier of chips. Maybe ask around see if maybe it’s An update disabling the chips. 

my issue was alternating chips would work, then they wouldn’t work when I added more cartridges. They never all showed X at the same time though. 

If they all always show they don’t work and it has never once asked to use “ non genuine” carts I would try new chips from a different supplier first and compare firmware versions with a known functional unit with aftermarket carts. 

Edited by johnson4