Anyone with electrical knowledge have any idea how to repair a part of the mini shaker?

Okay, so the old machine I’m measuring 1mm holes, new 0.8mm holes. The old machine has several taped off, likely due to too much powder coming out ( tested, I agree). They probably went with smaller holes for less flow. Possibly causing the issue. 

I literally built like 5 revisions to auto powder my cart, and in my testing, if you get the hole size right for powder flow, they clog too Easy. If the powder hole is too big, to much powder and more often recycling of the powder. 

i finally settled in a single small ( but larger) hole that drops the powder in the center, and the slapping motion spreads it out. With the one single large hole, it never clogs. I think their attempt with this shaker was to equally drop powder slowly over the entire film. I never liked that, I instead like the U part to have a line of powder in it, just like when you manually powder them. Never had an issue like this. With the “ sprinkle” method I would get uneven powder and some spots without any at all.

I think that may be the cause, because with this old machine, it does clog and I’ll have to run it dry and clean it( I rub the bottom and use a shop vac) every now and again, as I described above with the holes getting clogged with slightly larger peices. Because this happens, every time I recycle( refill) I use a flour sifter to catch and break apart those larger peices that may have occurred. Doing that, and never leaving large amounts of powder in my (modified) box, I don’t really have issues. Maybe once a month or two do I need to really clean the holes. 

however, I don’t see how this affects the motor. I can grip mine, and it slows but I can’t make it stop, it’ll crush my fingers first.   I do see the powder packing up, but the point of the brush is to break up the powder. 

I do see they are designed differently, so I’ll check mine out and test it throughly. You could be right absolutely, but I wouldn’t make the holes bigger than 1mm, and I’d make sure you have clear tape on hand in case you need to block a few rows. I don’t know how many revisions I had to make because even the smallest amount bigger caused wayyyy to much powder to come out. 

Edited by johnson4

If it were me and if I’m in this same position during testing, likely I will drill the holes to one size larger for the middle row only. And keep adding rows until it works or doesn’t, then go up a size. If I need to tape off rows ( like the first one) I will. 

if none of that works I’ll remove it altogether and make my own powder box like the cart build. 

2 hours ago, johnson4 said:

If it were me and if I’m in this same position during testing, likely I will drill the holes to one size larger for the middle row only. And keep adding rows until it works or doesn’t, then go up a size. If I need to tape off rows ( like the first one) I will. 

if none of that works I’ll remove it altogether and make my own powder box like the cart build. 

Ok so I just finished this major pain in the ass (got taken apart very easy but putting it back together is terrible). Before reassembling, I drilled larger holes on the middle 2 rows, but every 3-4 holes. Total of about 15 hole. We’ll see how this does and I’ll either drill more or tape off like you said. 

As for the motor, I tested the old motor by just gripping the bar with my fingers and it strained pretty easily. New motor, couldn’t slow it at all. So either the last motor was bad when I got it or it became bad with use (just about 4 hours of use though)

Now testing the new motor, it also seems inconsistent when there is powder in there. The sound goes deep and high back and forth. I think time will tell for now how this will hold up. 

2 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Ok so I just finished this major pain in the ass (got taken apart very easy but putting it back together is terrible). Before reassembling, I drilled larger holes on the middle 2 rows, but every 3-4 holes. Total of about 15 hole. We’ll see how this does and I’ll either drill more or tape off like you said. 

As for the motor, I tested the old motor by just gripping the bar with my fingers and it strained pretty easily. New motor, couldn’t slow it at all. So either the last motor was bad when I got it or it became bad with use (just about 4 hours of use though)

Now testing the new motor, it also seems inconsistent when there is powder in there. The sound goes deep and high back and forth. I think time will tell for now how this will hold up. 

Sounds like a good plan. As for the motor, I'm not really sure. I mean i know mine does make a different sound under load, but it still spins the same speed as far as I can tell. 

On 10/9/2021 at 6:38 PM, johnson4 said:

Sounds like a good plan. As for the motor, I'm not really sure. I mean i know mine does make a different sound under load, but it still spins the same speed as far as I can tell. 

So far, 3 days in and it's working. Strains A LOT at around 40% speed but it hasn't stopped. Yet lol

1 hour ago, johnson4 said:

Glad it’s working, good to hear. So the bigger holes as described did the trick?

I have no idea to be honest...at this point as long as it works, I'm good. Only problem I have now is anymore than 1lb of powder, and the tray at the bottom fills up. Wish there was a way to have the powder automatically recycle. I'm sure I could figure out a way if I had the time to learn the mechanical/electrical stuff.

34 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

I have no idea to be honest...at this point as long as it works, I'm good. Only problem I have now is anymore than 1lb of powder, and the tray at the bottom fills up. Wish there was a way to have the powder automatically recycle. I'm sure I could figure out a way if I had the time to learn the mechanical/electrical stuff.

The new shaker of mine has locking wheels. The old one had legs you put down with regular wheels.Kind of like to level the machine and lift it off the non locking wheels. The new one has the holes where they are on the old one, but no bung or feet.

I lifted the old machine off the wheels with those levelers, and put a turkey pan in there. It easily holds all 5lbs of powder from my hopper, easily 8 lbs. 

the new shaker doesn’t have them, but I will add them, or something similar to use a similar pan.  I never used the stock pan, it’s too small. If time crunches occur, I’ll find a wider thinner pan. 

the wider pan is awesome, because there is literally no spillage and no overflowing. Every 30 minutes to an hour I just walk over, stop the slapper, pull and dump the pan back in my hopper and turn the slapper back on, takes like 10 seconds. 

that’s how I did it anyway, in both the minI shaker and my home made cart build.

a pan like this- or a metal pan with the handles on the side is what I use. 

DC9B5E79-802F-4F86-A274-A6BED3963A40.jpeg

Edited by johnson4

26 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

The new shaker of mine has locking wheels. The old one had legs you put down with regular wheels.Kind of like to level the machine and lift it off the non locking wheels. The new one has the holes where they are on the old one, but no bung or feet.

I lifted the old machine off the wheels with those levelers, and put a turkey pan in there. It easily holds all 5lbs of powder from my hopper, easily 8 lbs. 

the new shaker doesn’t have them, but I will add them, or something similar to use a similar pan.  I never used the stock pan, it’s too small. If time crunches occur, I’ll find a wider thinner pan. 

the wider pan is awesome, because there is literally no spillage and no overflowing. Every 30 minutes to an hour I just walk over, stop the slapper, pull and dump the pan back in my hopper and turn the slapper back on, takes like 10 seconds. 

that’s how I did it anyway, in both the minI shaker and my home made cart build.

a pan like this- or a metal pan with the handles on the side is what I use. 

DC9B5E79-802F-4F86-A274-A6BED3963A40.jpeg

Yea your new machine sounds like the one I got. I was wondering how you fit a pan under there. I will test some things out because it is pretty annoying how small the stock pan is. Difficult putting the powder back on top with it too.

Just now, Mdrake2016 said:

Yea your new machine sounds like the one I got. I was wondering how you fit a pan under there. I will test some things out because it is pretty annoying how small the stock pan is. Difficult putting the powder back on top with it too.

Yea it is, the stock pan on the new one is worse than the first one, lol. 

I will likely use something like this on the new one to remediate this particular issue. My garage floor isn’t perfectly flat anyway, so I kind of need something to keep it from rocking anyway. 

https://www.amazon.com/Anwenk-Leveling-Furniture-Adjustable-Workbench/dp/B08VHSJQWB/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Anwenk+Leveling+Feet+Heavy+Duty+Furniture+Levelers+Adjustable+Table+Leg+Leveler+w%2FLock+Nuts+for+Furniture%2CTable%2C+Cabinets%2C+Workbench%2CShelving+Units+and+More%2CBlack&qid=1634186608&sr=8-1

Edited by johnson4

20 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

I don't understand how you run a business, modify all this stuff, and answer people's questions consistently. Do you have 36 hours in a day while the rest of us have 24?

9 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

I don't understand how you run a business, modify all this stuff, and answer people's questions consistently. Do you have 36 hours in a day while the rest of us have 24?

Lol. I wish. Most of the questions I answer come from experience. Every now and again it’s speculation based from some similar experience so it usually doesn’t take much time to answer. 

as for time to do things, I’m all over the place with it. If something gets in the way of production, I don’t have an option but to fix it, however long that takes, no matter what it is. so sometimes I’ve “ been there done that” or already heading that direction anyway, like this new mini shaker for example. 

Used to If I wanted something, I found it broken and repaired it to be able to afford it or did without. Sometimes I’m able to make things instead. Right now I’m trying to find a way to obtain a 24” printer with either 360 nozzles per channel, or dual heads while also fine tuning this setup in the event I cant.

I did this type of stuff back before google was google and YouTube existed. the people of today just get “answers” handed to them. that’s why I gravitated to this forum so much, it was so many similar people with actual knowledge, not looking for profit or views, so it was very helpful in avoiding a LARGE amount of trial and error I would have had to do alone. 

Overall I’m just trying to get somewhere, and I’m stuck on it until I do. Sometimes I get help, sometimes I give it. It works out in the end for everyone with an open mind. You can’t find that anywhere else, especially social media. I try to help those in similar situations if I can. 

Edited by johnson4

As for the recycling, I never found it worth the time. Adding the hopper gave me enough time to not have to worry about it. Recycling in any way is going to inherently make powder particles float around. 

But you could use something like the Venturi effect, if done correctly it should only create a suction.

You could also do something with like a “ trap door” that’s spring loaded. When enough weight sits on it it falls down inside, which then the spring closes it again( to seal the compartment) and triggers a timed fan to blow it back up into the hopper when the “trap door” actuated. still need some sort of air filter for the vent to stop powder from floating around.  

that’s two ideas I was going to try anyway, the Venturi effect was from someone else, the trap door idea was what I was going to go with at first. 

it’s all trial and error though. My self powdering on my cart consists of a wooden box, a 3D printer stand, and a 3/4” pvc pipe. Simple,cheap, but works consistently. It took 5 revisions to get to that, lol. 

for the time being, since the time saved  to me isn’t worth the time to make something, I just refill my hopper every 30 minutes to an hour and empty my pan every 2 hours roughly. 

Edited by johnson4

14 hours ago, johnson4 said:

Glad it’s working, good to hear. So the bigger holes as described did the trick?

So it looks like I spoke too soon. The new motor stopped working again.

Something weird happened at the same time though...the shaker stopped as well. But then when I flipped the switch to turn off the brush roller, the shaker began working. Does this sound like the wiring that you mentioned in the previous page could be the main problem with this whole machine?

15 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Can't edit my last post.

Now, when I turn on the Duster and rotate the dial, the shaker stops when I get up too high. WTF is going on with this thing. 😠

Both of those run on the one 12 V power supply.

The box back in there in one of the photos I sent.  You say both are shutting off at the same time when you turn it up to high? or is it just the slapper? 

If so, Is it possible your motor you installed is touching the metal frame ( the tabs on the motor)? 

if it’s only the slapper and the duster continues to function, possibly the speed controller.  

have you taken the face plate off yet?( with it unplugged of course) Might be a loose connection. 

On this one, I am able to overload the power supply by holding the slapper, which then shuts off both the duster and slapper, until it resets almost immediately then both turn back on. 

ive turned this one on max settings and letting it run to see if it overheats the power supply or something after some time. 

Edited by johnson4

9 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Both of those run on the one 12 V power supply.

The box back in there in one of the photos I sent.  You say both are shutting off at the same time when you turn it up to high? or is it just the slapper? 

If so, Is it possible your motor you installed is touching the metal frame ( the tabs on the motor)? 

if it’s only the slapper and the duster continues to function, possibly the speed controller.  

have you taken the face plate off yet?( with it unplugged of course) Might be a loose connection. 

So right now, the duster won't work at all. No motor sound or movement when I flip the switch/rotate the dial. But when the switch for the duster is on and I turn the dial to around 50%, the slapper stops completely. Turning the duster switch off or the dial down gets the slapper going again.

Also just now, I realized that when the dial for the duster is up JUST enough to stop the slapper, the slapper moves slightly every time the take up reel pulls the film.

I will have to check the motor after the work day and see if anything is touching. It was working fine until now so I'd be surprised if thats happening.

10 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

So right now, the duster won't work at all. No motor sound or movement when I flip the switch/rotate the dial. But when the switch for the duster is on and I turn the dial to around 50%, the slapper stops completely. Turning the duster switch off or the dial down gets the slapper going again.

this sounds like the duster motor is shorted, or the wiring. It’s overloading the power supply, as a short/stalled motor would do. 

Also just now, I realized that when the dial for the duster is up JUST enough to stop the slapper, the slapper moves slightly every time the take up reel pulls the film.

the take up reel is 220V, so it shouldn’t have any effect on the slapper. The sensor is 12V that triggers the take up roller though, so it sounds like it’s possibly self resetting the power supply. When overloaded they do that. Like a self resetting breaker. So it’s also surging the slapper. 

I will have to check the motor after the work day and see if anything is touching. It was working fine until now so I'd be surprised if thats happening.

Edited by johnson4